Archive for February, 2010
Sunday, February 28th, 2010
Idyllwild, 8:00 am, 2/28/10: To cap off a day of mostly drizzle the snow began mid-afternoon and continued until evening. Here at the inn we only got an inch, two inches in the village area and more higher up in Fern Valley and Pine Cove. Just enough to make it pretty and not too much to make it too difficult to get around.
At 6:30 this morning I was pleasantly surprised to see guests unloading cross country skis from the car and heading over to the county park. I should have taken a picture but I was getting in the shower at the time.
Blue skies and sunshine today with more precipitation expected mid-week.
Friday, February 26th, 2010
Idyllwild, Friday, 2/26, 8 pm: The National Weather Service has downgraded the chance of precipitation for tonight and this weekend.
Tonight: A chance of rain after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday: Rain before 4pm, then snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy dense fog. Snow level 6500 feet lowering to 5800 feet in the afternoon . High near 42. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night: Snow showers likely before 10pm, then a chance of rain showers. Patchy dense fog. Snow level 5500 feet. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49. West wind around 10 mph.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010
Idyllwild, 2/24/10: Here is the forecast for this weekend from the National Weather Service. Keep an eye on the Breaking News link on our web site or follow us on Facebook or Twitter to get updates as it happens.
Friday: A 30 percent chance of rain after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.
Friday Night: A chance of rain before 10pm, then snow. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy dense fog after 10pm. Snow level 7400 feet lowering to 5300 feet. Low around 37. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday: Snow. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy dense fog. High near 41. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Saturday Night: Rain showers and snow. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy dense fog. Snow level rising to 6000 feet. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
Sunday: A chance of showers. Patchy dense fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 34.
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 58.
Sunday, February 21st, 2010
Idyllwild, 2/21/10: 9:15 am: I don’t know any better way to describe it than to say the air is wet. It’s foggy out or a cloud has settled on to the mountain. It sounds like it’s drizzling but walking out in the open I didn’t feel much of anything. I think what’s happening is the pine trees are gathering the moisture from the air and coalescing it in to rain drops so it sounds like drizzle from within the cabin and feels like it walking under the trees but out in the open it’s just wet air. All roads are clear.
Rain is expected tonight but based on the temperature it could well be snow. More rain is expected mid-week (slight chance) and rain and SNOW is expected Friday. There is plenty of availability next weekend both at the inn and among the vacation rental cabins but as the snow forecast tightens up so could availability. Book now!
Saturday, February 20th, 2010
Saturday, February, 20, 2010, 8:10 am: Just got back from delivery ice scraper/snow brushes to the inn’s rooms for our guest’s use.
We woke up to a light blanket of snow – about an inch at the inn and as much as three inches higher up in the village and Fern Valley. Rain is all that was forecast and more precipitation is expected today through Monday although the percentage of likelihood decreases Sunday and Monday.
Our driveway is clear (too much stored heat from yesterday to stick) and I assume the roads in town are clear as well. Some driveways in higher elevations might be tricky. The DOT reports chains or snow tires required on Hwy 243 from Mountain Center to Lake Fulmor and on Hwy 74 from Pinyon Drive to Mountain Center but I believe the roads will be clear and you should just have them with you – in case.
For a one night only stay – tonight – we have a studio and a king suite available; each for up to two guests. The studio is $130 and the kind suite is $160. There are vacation rental cabins available as well for a two night minimum.
Sunday, February 14th, 2010
Idyllwild, Sunday, 2/14/10: Highway 74 between Hemet and Mountain Center opened yesterday afternoon at 4:15 pm. All roads to Idyllwild are clear and there’s still snow on the ground particularly in the higher elevations.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010
Idyllwild, Wednesday, 2/10/10: The snow fell lightly yesterday afternoon and into the evening. Where we are it stopped at about 5 inches (more higher up in Fern Valley and Pine Cove). We woke up to a beautiful blanket of the white stuff. The rest of the week and through the weekend should be mostly sunny and the roads will be clear but driveways can still be difficult.
Be reminded that Hwy 74 between Hemet and Mountain Center is out and will likely be closed for some time while the road is rebuilt, paved, etc.
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010
Idyllwild, Tuesday, 2/9/10:
See prior updates and be reminded that Hwy 74 between Hemet and Mountain Center is closed because the road was washed out this past weekend. Use alternate routes.
Today: Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Areas of fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tonight: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Areas of fog. Low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46. West wind around 5 mph.
Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 30.
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 56.
Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 57.
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 34.
Presidents’ Day: Sunny, with a high near 57.
Sunday, February 7th, 2010
Idyllwild, Sunday, 2/7/10, 9:00 am: There was rain and snow last night but we ended up with just a light dusting of snow on the ground and not much accumulation where we are – undoubtedly more higher up in the valley and certainly more on the ridges. Right now we are enjoying beautiful blue skies seen through towering pines.
Note yesterday’s posting about Highway 74 between Hemet and Mountain Center being closed. All other roads are clear and open.
More rain and snow is expected mid-week – stay tuned.
Saturday, February 6th, 2010
Idyllwild, Saturday, 1/6/10, 9:30 pm: Highway 74 to and from Mountain Center and Hemet was closed today because the road washed out. I saw a photo of it on a cell phone and it looks like a sink hole and is not likely to be open for awhile. The Town Crier at http://www.towncrier.com/ and the Press Enterprise at http://www.pe.com/ are most likely to have current information on when it’ll be back open. The photo above is from the Town Crier Breaking News Blog.
Folks heading to or from LA or Orange Counties should take Hwy 243 to or from I-10 on the north side of the mountain. Those from south Riverside or San Diego Counties should take 74 through Garner Valley to Hwy 371 thru Anza to 79 to Temecula per the directions on our web site (this is always the route we recommend from these areas).
It’s currently raining in the lower part of Idyllwild but is likely snowing in the upper elevations. I expect a light blanket of snow by morning.